Monday, September 2, 2019
The Death Penalty is Cruel and Unusual Punishment Essay -- essays rese
We kill people to show them killing is wrong. The death penalty does not punish people for killing but for murdering someone. Murder is "the unlawful, malicious, or permitted killing of one human being by another" (Carmical 1). The slogan should be ?We execute people to show people that murder is wrong.? The death penalty is racist, it punishes the poor, it causes the innocent to die, it is not a deterrent against violent crime, and it is cruel and unusual punishment. The death penalty is wrong and it should be abolished. The death penalty ?cruel and unusual punishment.? At one time in history around six hundred people were executed, and in those six-hundred eighty of them were innocent but still executed (Thomas 2). Many people say that the death penalty is lawful. They think that if the punishment is carried out by the government and not by one person it is fine, and it is not cruel and unusual punishment (Carmical 2). Yes, the men who constructed the constitution supported the death penalty, but times have changed and so has the constitution. The constitution should abolish the death penalty (Carmical 5). Many states in America have already abolished the death penalty, including Michigan. If the U.S wants to abolish the death penalty all together we would just need to take it step by step and then it would be easy. It would be easy because studies show that 68% of the sentences actually don?t happen! We only need to worry about the other 32 % (Dieter Speech 5). And 82% of the Cases end up in life sentences in jail. The goal is to end all cases, for murdering someone, to life sentences. A couple amendments have to do with the death penalty. These two would be the 5th and 8th amendments. Double jeopardy... ...). The time the murderer stays in the cell is extreme isolation between sentencing and execution. The murderer stays in the cell for twenty-three hours (Wolf 47). That?s not enough time to breathe. The murderers are mistreated on the death row and that is why the death row should be abolished all together. The death penalty is racist, it punishes the poor, it causes the innocent to die, it is not a deterrent against violent crime, and it is cruel and unusual punishment. More than half of the countries in the world have already abolished the death penalty and the U.S should abolish it too. It is wrong and cruel. Some states in the U.S still hold the death penalty because they think it will keep U.S citizens safe, but we can just keep the murders in a separate patrolled jail. Abolish it and we may save the lives of the people that may have been executed innocent.